Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Fifty-Three

Day 53: 23 Sep 2010

When I awoke this morning, I felt strong. Massive. Rested. Great, in other words.

I wasn't alone. Mr. William was sitting in the overstuffed chair, a smile on his face and one leg crossed over the other.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine. Better than fine," I said. My voice was a shriek, just like Jared's.

I say "my voice," and "I said," because it's true. There is no we anymore. The slug and Travis are now just Travis. I can still hear his thoughts and he can hear mine -- but it's different. Neither of us knows whose thoughts are whose-- it's one mind now. Conflicting thoughts of a single personality. Just like any of you.

"Excellent. The first task will be to hunt down the two former friends of yours, the ones who broke in and killed my men recently. Find them and bring me their heads," Mr. William said, still grinning.

"Nope. Not doing that," I said almost instantly, smirking.

"You don't have a choice. I saved you, and I order you to do as I say." The smile had dropped from Mr. William's face now.

"Oh, pal. You have no fucking idea what's going on, do you?" I said, laughing. "Now get me a pair of sunglasses. It's too bright."

Mr. William just sat there, staring.

"Do it now," I said, "Before I rip out your worthless spine."

That moved him. Mr. William got up and scurried out of the room.

The slug and I had plenty of time to talk while we were joining. While we slept. We agreed that we owe no one -- except maybe two Russian fishermen who the Russian mob had probably already killed. We are free. And we shall do as we please.

Mr. William returned with the sunglasses, and I put them on. My eyes instantly relaxed.

"Now. . . tell me where I can find the West Coast Syndicate," I said, standing and stretching out my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment