Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day One Hundred and Five

Day 105: 14 Nov 2010

It was dark when Vince woke me.

"How long have I been out?" I asked.

"Five hours. We've got incoming. Five vehicles moving in a line."

"So it's not our guy?"

"Or it is, and he's already turned his slugs into soldiers."

"I hadn't even thought of that. That's not good," I said, standing and stretching.

"No. No, it isn't. I'm waiting on confirmation. If it is them, we'll throw everything we have at 'em, but I don't know how effective it'll be."

Vince quickly put his hand to his ear. He listened for a second, then nodded.

"Copy. It's them. Travis is driving the lead vehicle," he told me, handing me an M249 SAW. "We'd better get ready. The trucks won't make it , but they'll probably continue on foot."

"How do you plan to stop the trucks?"

Vince toggled his radio.

"Vampire 1-1, go ahead and start your run."

Off in the distance, I heard gunfire. Lots of it. Then, soon after, explosions.

"The helicopter," I said.

Vince nodded. "Better get in position. Won't take them long now."

Vince, his three guys, and I aimed our weapons out the windows of the trailer, towards the road. We saw the chopper in the distance. It was coming towards us, floodlights switched on and bathing the road ahead of it in light. In its beam, we saw men running at us. They moved impossibly fast -- Travis and his guys. I didn't count, but I knew there were 25 of them.

"Wait for 'em," Vince whispered. "Wait. . . now! Light 'em up!"

I almost went deaf from the noise as all five of fired. We saw bullets arc through the night. They hit the men advancing, but didn't even slow them down. They kept coming at that impossible speed, heading right for us.

"Reload! Reload!" Vince yelled.

I reached for another belt, but the trailer suddenly bucked hard and pitched on its wheels. I felt the old Winnebago slam over on its side, and as I fell backwards, I must have hit my head -- everything suddenly went dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment