Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day Ninety-Three

Day 93: 02 Nov 2010

Tracking someone underwater is easier than tracking on land. It's much quieter down here, for one thing. No noise to confuse my mind. It's simple for the slug to communicate with Travis down here -- even when Travis doesn't talk back.

He had almost two days head start on me, and that's about how long it took to find him. I covered a lot of distance in that time. The slug's modifications to my physiology meant I didn't need to surface for air, and the cold and pressure had no effect on me.

When I finally caught up with him, he was sitting in an open area on the ocean floor, legs crossed, eyes closed. He looked asleep. I knew he wasn't, though -- I could sense his slug working, reaching out with all of its mental powers. Searching, but not for me.

I sat down and joined him. I'm not sure if I made the decision or my slug did, but it hardly mattered. We sat there together. Time stopped passing -- the two of us, motionless, somewhere out past Florida. . . searching. Calling.

Waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment