Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day Three

Day 3: 04 Aug 2010

Can't really tell you what happened at work today. Oh, I went, and I did my job, but I spaced out all day. That's the nice thing about my job, I guess -- I've been there long enough that I can do it on autopilot. Which is how today went.

Left at 5:30 and headed home -- skipped lunch, so I was hungry when I got there. Microwaved some banh xeo from the freezer. Ate it half-warmed with a cold PBR.

Oh, right. Forgot to get to that -- banh xeo is a Vietnamese crepe with shrimp and pork. I eat almost exclusively Vietnamese food, because the closest store to my house is an Asian market, and it's pretty cheap. My sophomore-year college roommate Tran is the one who taught me how to cook (my folks never did), so that's what I know how to make. That's why I eat fortune cookies with breakfast.

Anyway, after dinner, I convinced myself to relax and watch a movie or something. I poked around at Netflix Instant View for about 20 minutes, but nothing looked appealing. Another PBR sure looked appealing, though. So I had one of those. Then another, and another, and then I stopped counting.

I stopped drinking much after high school. Yeah, I know that's when most people start drinking, but remember, I grew up a Cracker. In my hometown, drinking started at 12. Started smoking at about 15. Quit that around 20. Something about finding parts of Jared's body, I don't know. . . it messed with me. Made me more careful.

So it didn't take me long to get pretty hammered off those few beers I put down. Hammered and giggly. I was on the Web, Facebook-stalking an old girlfriend (thanks, alcohol!) and listening to some horrible Death Metal when it happened. In the right corner of my screen, a window popped up that sobered me up almost immediately: "Message from maninblack422."

It said: "So, do I have your attention? Meet me at Front and Market tomorrow, noon. Be on time."

I hit the reply button, but nope. Same fire-and-vanish message delivery like last time -- guy was already offline.

I checked the clock -- 10:48 p.m. The sooner I got to bed, the less likely I was to be hung over when I met this guy in Downtown Wilmington tomorrow at noon. I quickly cleaned up my plate and bottles, turned off the lights, and went to bed. . . but it took me a while to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment