Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Wot's all this, then?

So, by way of explanation...

Last night, I restarted the Twitter Novel Project after doing fuck all with it for exactly 1700 days. This was not planned. The number 1700 has no significance (though it does work out to 4 years, 7 months, and 27 days, and I WAS born on 7/27... spooooooky). There's no real answer to why I started the Project again after all this time.

Best I can figure: while I was driving back from the office yesterday, words just started popping into my brain.

Actually, back up. I know just when this started. A week ago or so, I was helping my wife and her community group clean up and pack up a historical monument. The property on which the monument (a 19th-Century schoolhouse) stands has been abandoned for three years, and looters, taggers, and drunken teenagers have taken over. Now, while they've decimated the other 15 or so buildings on the property, they've mostly left the schoolhouse alone.

Except one tagger, who'd spray-painted a single, huge reptilian eye next to the front door.

Since then, the phrase "an eye is upon you" has been on my mind.

So, on the way home from work, I started writing. Nothing substantial, not a part of any story; just words and phrases, whatever came into my head as I let my brain go where it wanted.

I liked it. I liked putting words together. I haven't done it in a while, but when I did it yesterday evening, I wanted more.

I was in my car, just about to leave the house to go to the gym, when I made the decision. Reboot @Tweet_Book. Write again, every day, like you used to.

And while I sweated my middle-aged fat cells off of my doughy midsection, I wrote a chapter. (It's labeled as Chapter 1, but it's really the prologue; I'll be numbering the chapters correctly here on the blog, and will eventually get there on the twitter stream.)

So, a few disclaimers: I am coming up with this book as I go, entirely off the top of my head. It might suck. I'm rusty. But plus side, you'll get to see a first draft as it forms.

Also, I plan to use my gym time to write (I'm actually in between sets as I write this blog, and it's taking forever). I take Fridays off from the gym, so I might take Fridays off from writing. Or I might write more. We will see.

That's about it; I'll be posting chapters to the blog here as they're completed, after I clean up after the hobos and taggers that have set up in the four and a half years I've abandoned this property.

Thanks for taking one more ride with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment